In many cases, mouth sores will heal without treatment. Sores from minor injuries will typically clear within 1-2 weeks.
While the sores are healing, you can try:
- excluding hot or spicy foods from their diet
- abstaining from using tobacco products
- avoiding eating citrus fruits or salty foods, as they may cause sores to sting
- taking oral pain relievers
- applying baking soda and water to the sore
If home remedies are not enough or the sore does not heal on its own, you may wish to talk with your doctor about further treatment options.
A doctor can prescribe stronger anti-inflammatory or pain-relieving medications and ointments. If an underlying condition is causing the mouth sores, a doctor will develop a treatment plan for this too.