Kidneys filter out waste and extra fluid from blood so it can be excreted from the body in urine. One kidney can filter enough blood to keep the body functioning normally, with a premise of protecting the kidney.
What to do:
1. eat a healthy diet.
2. exercise regularly (but avoid contact sports, such as boxing, football, hockey, martial arts, rugby, soccer, wrestling and so on).
3. maintain a healthy weight.
4. stay hydrated.
5. maintain a normal blood pressure and blood sugar (managing high blood pressure or diabetes if they develop).
6. see your doctor least once a year for checkups.
7. measure blood pressure regularly.
What not to do:
1. avoid medications that can be harmful, such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS).
2. absorb the excessive amount of sodium, phosphorous, and protein in the diet.
3. do not smoke or drink alcohol.