Do you know when the pain occurs, and whether the pain is associated with movement, eating, or a certain food item? The causes of pain under the right rib cage:
Injury: Injuries to the ribs are common and can cause chest pain. This pain can be mild or severe depending on the extent of the injury. Some injuries to the rib cage can lead to serious problems such as a collapsed lung or kidney damage.
Liver pain related causes:
- Liver trauma: During surgical or diagnostic procedures, sharp force can injure the abdominal wall.
- Viral hepatitis: This is an infection of the liver.
- Alcoholic liver disease: A broad term used to describe many stages of liver disease caused by excessive alcohol consumption. The end stages of cirrhosis of the liver normally do not include pain.
- Fatty liver disease: The accumulation of fat in the liver can be linked to obesity, high blood cholesterol, hypertension, and diabetes mellitus.
- Liver abscess: This is a buildup of puss in the liver and can be accompanied by other infections in the abdomen.
- Liver cancer: Liver cancer or hepatocellular carcinoma is a malignant tumor. It can occur due to the spread of cancer from elsewhere in the body. Liver cysts or hepatic cysts, which are fluid filled sacs in the liver, have also been linked to pain under the right rib cage.
- Intrahepatic cholestasis: This is a condition where bile gets backed up in the liver. It can be due to problems in the bile ducts.
- Hepatic arterial occlusion: A blockage or narrowing of the hepatic artery can reduce oxygen to the liver tissue and lead to pain under the right rib cage.
Gallbladder pain related causes:
- Gallbladder: Gallstones, inflammation of the gallbladder, and inflammation of the bile ducts can cause pain on the right side under the rib cage.
- Gallbladder cancer: Much like liver cancer, this is a malignant tumor that can occur as a result of a metastatic spread from somewhere else in the body.
Kidney pain related causes:
- Kidney stones: Large stones can become lodged and cause sharp pain under the right rib cage. Many people who experience this also feel back pain.
Colon pain related causes:
- Colon problems: Diverticulitis, which is inflammation of the pouches that form the walls of the colon; irritable bowel disease, which impacts bowel habits colonic polyps, trapped gas; and inflammatory bowel disease, which is a chronic inflammation of the wall of the large intestine, are all potential causes of pain under the right rib cage.
- Gastrointestinal problems: Acid reflux and ulcers can lead to burning and pain sensations. Sometimes, the discomfort is under the right rib cage.
As there are many conditions that can lead to it. You are suggested to see a gastroenterologist first.