Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Cranberry Relish
1/4 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon chopped shallots (1 medium)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 large carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces (about 4 1/2 ounces)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut in 2-inch chunks (about 3/4 pound)
1 small onion, cut into 8 wedges (about 14 ounces)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Lime -Spiked Black Bean Dip
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
Place beans in a food processor, and pulse until almost smooth. Combine the beans, carrot, and the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring until well blended. Let stand 30 minutes. Serve with baked tortilla chips.
Gloria Loring’s Lentil Stew
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 Tbs. Olive oil
(Optional: add one clove garlic, minced)
8 cups vegetable broth
1 cup lentils
2 bay leaves
½ cup basmati rice
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 small yam or sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 bunch spinach or Swiss chard
1 grated zucchini
1 small bunch basil, chopped
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp. cinnamon
Salt, to taste
1. Sauté onion in olive oil until slightly golden brown. (Optional: Add one clove garlic,
2. Add vegetable broth, lentils, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer
for 20 minutes.
3. Add rice, carrots, and sweet potato. Simmer 15 minutes. Add water if the stew looks too
4. Add spinach, zucchini, basil, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and salt to taste. Simmer until all ingredients are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Serves 8
Citrus Chicken with Oregano and Cumin
4 boneless chicken breast
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
zest and juice of 1 lime
zest and juice of 1 orange
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1. Place the chicken, oregano, cumin, garlic, and zest and juice of lime and orange in a large non-reactive shallow bowl and stir to combine.
2. Cover and refrigerate at least 1/2 hour and not more than one hour.
3. Remove and discard as much of the marinade as possible. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
4. Place a large cast iron or non stick skillet over high heat and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the chicken breasts one at a time, waiting about 30 seconds between additions.
5. Cook until well browned and cooked throughout.
6. Transfer the chicken to a platter and serve immediately.