Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a common chronic inflammatory condition characterized by muscle pain and stiffness in various parts of the body, which typically affects people over age 65.
The symptoms of PMR often arise suddenly without warning. It usually affects shoulder, neck, arms and hips. Patients may have some symptoms such as:
- Aches or pain in your shoulders, wrists, elbows or knees;
- Stiffness in affected areas, particularly in the morning;
- Movements limited in affected parts of body;
- Mild fever;
It seems that the etiology of PMR is still unknown at this point, but there appears to be a strong genetic as well as an environmental contribution.
Since PMR is a very serious condition, if left untreated, this condition can lead to stroke or blindness.
- Medications: to help ease your signs and symptoms.
- Physical therapy: to help you return to their previous levels of activity.