Who do I see for a heart anuersym it is four and a half

  • 5

5 Answers

These messages are for mutual support and information sharing only. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Boston Children's Hospital is preferred, and Texas Children's Hospital or Children's Hospital of Philadelphia are also experienced in the treatment of cardiac aneurysms.
By four and a half do you mean the size of the aortic aneurysm?
See a cardiologist of course. Is it ascending or descending aorta? There's a difference.
For TAA - thoracic aorta aneursym, when the size is less than 4 cm, the 5 year incidence of rupture is close to 0 percent. When it grows to 4 - 5.9 cm, the 5 year incidence of rupture rises to 16%. The incidence goes up to 31% when the TAA grows beyond 6 cm. In diameter.

Yours is already 4.5 cm, despite of etiology and location you'll need bi-annual scan, CT or MRI, because the aneurysm grows. The good news is thoracic aorta grows slowly, 1 mm/yr for ascending, 3 mm/yr for descending.

If you follow up with your cardiologist, he/she will set a line, when the TAA grows to the line, I'm sure your Dr. will discuss with you about treatment or surgery.

Usually when TAA grows to 1.9 to 2.4 inches (about 5 to 6 centimeters) , surgery will be recommended. It's a mature surgery, find an experienced medical team you'll be in good hands.

People with Marfan syndrome requires surgery when the TAA is smaller.