The disease can be divided into two types, according to the parts it affects:
- Polioencephalomalacia: It affects the grey matter of the human brain and the normal functioning of the body by reducing speech coordination, muscle control, memory, sensory perception, and emotions.
- Leukoencephalomalacia: it affects the human brain’s white matter, it generally affects the nervous system of the brain and hinders many body activities.
On the basis of the advancement of the disease in softening the cerebral comma, this disease can be divided into three categories, according to the color changes in each stage and the severity of its damage caused.
- Red softening: This situation occurs when the oxygen supply to the brain tissues is hindered and the tissues eventually get damaged. Technically, this situation is known as a hemorrhagic infarct. This condition also happens because of the blockage in the blood vessels of the body, which further results in clotting of the blood, bubble gas or even entry of foreign materials in your blood.
- Yellow softening: In this kind of situation, the color of the brain tissues turns yellow and also become soft due to an atherosclerotic plaque. This condition directly affects the arteries present in your brain and the brain tissues start turning yellow.
- White softening: This is a very serious situation because in this case, the flow of the blood either does not reaches the brain or become insufficient. The neuronal tissues present in the brain start getting damaged due to the lack of blood flow.
I'll suggest you discuss with your Dr. and get to know the type and stage.