What is sago palm toxic to humans?

  • 1

1 Answer

These messages are for mutual support and information sharing only. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Sago palm, also called cycas revoluta, are highly poisonous to both human beings and pets. Sago palm is widely used, from indoors to outdoors.

Sago palm, a spiky plant, can be toxic when eaten. All parts of this kind of plant are toxic. The most toxic parts of sago palm are seeds. The seeds of sago palm contain the largest amount of cycasin, a type of glucoside.

Cycasin can lead to damage or injury to the liver. After that, often other organs and tissues will be affected by this toxin. 

The symptoms are listed below.

  • Asymptomatic - mild liver damage
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Loss of appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Tiredness
  • Weakness
  • Jaundice
  • Yellow eyes
  • Yellow skin
  • Enlarged liver
  • Abnormal liver function test results
  • Swelling in feet
  • Weight increase due to water retention
  • Prolonged bleeding time

All the parts of sago palm are dangerous. So, we had better get away from them.  If the thorn of a sago palm tree punctures your skin, please ask for a medical help from your doctor immediately.

...