Are Raw Oysters High in Cholesterol?

1 Answer

These messages are for mutual support and information sharing only. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
People need cholesterol to produce hormones and the bile acids needed for digestion, yet high cholesterol significantly increases your risk of heart disease. Your body synthesizes approximately 75 percent of your cholesterol; the remaining 25 percent comes from animal foods, including oysters. A 3-ounce serving of Pacific oysters contains 85 milligrams of cholesterol. This amount is 28 percent of the 300 milligrams of cholesterol that the American Heart Association recommends a healthy adult should limit herself to each day. If you have high blood cholesterol or heart disease, you should have no more than 200 milligrams of cholesterol daily, and a serving of Pacific oysters would fulfill 42 percent of that amount. Farmed or wild Eastern oysters contain less cholesterol per serving: Farmed Eastern oysters have 32 milligrams in every 3 ounces, and wild Eastern oysters have 53 milligrams Oysters are delicious, but you should not over indulge on them. Keyword: cholesterol in raw oysters
...