Psoriasis is a skin disease that causes itchy, red skin with silvery scales. You usually get the patches on your elbows, knees, scalp, back, face, palms and feet, but they can show up on other parts of your body.
- Genetics (root cause)
- Common triggers: stress, an infection (like strep throat), certain medications (like lithium), cold, dry weather and sunburns
Signs and symptoms are different for everyone, the most common ones are:
- Red patches of skin covered with thick, silvery scales
- Small scaling spots (commonly seen in children)
- Dry, cracked skin that may bleed
- Itching, burning or soreness
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
- Swollen and stiff joints
There is no cure for psoriasis, and the main goal of treatment is to stop the skin cells from growing so quickly.
- Light therapy
- Lifestyle changes (moisturizing, quitting smoking and managing stress)
If you suspect that you may have psoriasis, call your doctor for an appointment.
Keywords: psoriasis, info psoriasis, psoriasis disease, plaque psoriasis, plaque psoriasis information