Generally, if the fever does not cause discomfort, it is not necessary to awaken an adult or child to treat a fever unless instructed to do so by a doctor.
The following fever-reducing medications may be used at home:
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol and others) can be used to lower a fever.
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) can also be used to break a fever in patients over 6 months of age.
- Naproxen (Aleve) is another nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that can temporarily reduce fever.
- Aspirin should not be used for fever in children or adolescents. Aspirin use in children and adolescents during a viral illness.
- chickenpox and influenza has been associated with Reye's syndrome，a dangerous illness that causes prolonged vomiting, confusion, and even coma and liver failure.
If you are concerned about your fever, call your health care provider for advice and reassurance.
Keyword: best fever treatment; best fever treatments