Some home remedies include:
- An individual with a fever should be kept comfortable and not overdressed. Overdressing can cause the temperature to rise further.
- Tepid water (85 F [30 C]) baths or sponge baths are a home remedy that may help bring down a fever.
- Never immerse a person with a fever in ice water. This is a common misconception.
- Never sponge a child or an adult with alcohol; the alcohol fumes may be inhaled, causing many problems.
- Staying hydrated. Drink plenty of water and fluids, and avoid alcohol or caffeinated beverages, which can contribute to dehydration.
- Popsicles can also be cooling and provide fluids while also soothing a sore throat if that is present.
- A fan to circulate air or an open window may be helpful, as well as applying a cool damp washcloth to the forehead.
If you are concerned about a fever, call your health care provider for more advice and reassurance.
Keyword: best home remedy fever