If your mother has endometriosis, does that mean that you will too?
The answer hasn’t been certain yet, but some people believe the gene does play a role. It is thought that if your mother or sister has endometriosis, you are also likely to have this condition to some degree.
However, since there are other factors which can contribute to this condition, you may not develop the condition yourself. These factors include:
- Menstrual cycles less than 28 days
- Never having been pregnant or having less than two full term pregnancies.
- An abnormally shaped uterus, cervix or vagina
- Damage to the lining of the uterus
- Abnormal menstruate due to medication
While many women with endometriosis have a close relative with endometriosis, other women have no known family members with endometriosis. However, more research is needed to determine if endometriosis is a genetic condition.
Keywords: endometriosis hereditary