Although anti-diarrheal medications can be a relief, they shouldn't be a long-term therapy.
In fact, treatment for chronic diarrhea depends on the underlying cause; they might include the following ones:
- antibiotics: treat bacteria or a parasite causes
- medications containing codeine: result in bulkier stools; a short-term basis
- over-the-counter medications such as bismuth and loperamide: slow the transit of stool; a short-term basis
Therefore, you should talk to your doctor before using these medications to treat chronic diarrhea.
Home remedies and natural remedies
- avoiding caffeine and alcoholic beverages
- eating low fiber foods
- drinking clear fluids to prevent dehydration
- controlling food portions to avoid overeating
- taking psyllium on a daily basis
Keep a food list to find what food would worsen your symptoms and avoid it later. Also, make a note of any food you eat that can relieve the condition.
Keywords: chronic diarrhea medication, chronic diarrhea treatment, chronic diarrhea treatments, treat chronic diarrhea, treatment chronic diarrhea