Though homemade canned tomatoes are tasty, if not made or preserved correctly, they may cause great harm to your health – botulism.
The problem lies in that you cannot see, smell, or taste botulinum toxin, but taking even a small taste of food containing this toxin can be deadly.
Here are a few things you can do to prevent botulism.
- When making canned food, follow meticulously all specified home-canning processing instructions.
- Before eating the canned tomatoes, boil them for at least 10 minutes.
- Discard any jars that have lost their airtight seal.
- Throw the canned food if it is
1. leaking or swollen
2. has bulges
3. spurts liquid or foam when you open it
4. of abnormal color, moldy, or smells bad
Since botulism may cause paralysis or even death, never take it lightly.
Keywords: botulism canned tomatoes