A doctor or nurse put a urinary catheter into a person's bladder so that urine can flow through it into a bag. You need a urinary catheter when:
- you have a weak bladder or damage in nerve
- you have a blocked urethra
- you are going to have certain types of surgery
- you are giving birth if you have an epidural anaesthetic
- Intermittent catheters. It's put inside your bladder when you need to pee.
- Indwelling catheters. It stays in your bladder for days or weeks.
- Urinary tract infections
- Bladder spasms
- Damage to the urethra
Therefore, you need to make sure that catheters are used in the right way.
Keyword: urinary catheter