Unfortunately, gradually all types of dementia will lead to loss of memory, loss of reasoning and judgment, personality and behavioral changes and physical decline.
However, good care for these people can greatly help them manage their symptoms and ease their sufferings.
When you are a relative or a friend of a dementia sufferer, don't just compain about the situation. There are many things you can do, including:
- Knowledge and understanding: get to know the condition, so you’ll know how to respond calmly.
- Respect and kindness: focus on what the person can do, not what they can’t.
- Being a good listener: support and accept the person; be patient.
- Do one little thing: cooking a meal or other little things, it all helps.
- Making time for everyone: because partners and children may be affected, remember to make time for them.
- Keeping active: being physically and mentally active can help them focus on the positive and fun aspects of life.
- Support services: when support services are available, you may try and get more help from them.
- Showing your understand: remember, the more we understand the more we can help.
Besides helping dementia sufferers, carers should not forget to pay attention to their own needs.
Keywords: help dementia sufferers