Dementia has many causes and can take many forms. Some complications may result from underlying illness that is causing the dementia. Others may arise from the dementia itself.
Possible complications of dementia, regardless of its cause, include the following:
- loss of previous ability to function or care for self
- losing ability to interact with others
- reduced lifespan
- increased infections within the body
In addition, the patient may have the following risks:
- Inadequate nutrition
- Personal safety challenges
- Death due to secondary diseases and infection
However, timely and proper treatment can help ease the symptoms and reduce the risks above. So seek help from a doctor once you notice the early symptoms in yourself or your family members.
Keywords: complications dementia