Adults who have chronic throat infection or several sore throats may have their tonsils taken out. A tonsillectomy is considered a safe procedure for adults.
But kids tend to recover much faster after tonsil surgery than adults. The average recovery time
for kids is about a week, while for adults is about two weeks
. There are a few reasons for this:
- Children typically heal faster than adults.
- Children are less likely to have bleeding problems after their tonsils are removed.
- Adults tend to have more pain after surgery. This may be because adults try to do too much too soon after surgery. They may not follow the rest and recovery instructions as a parent would make a child.
These tips can help you feel your best while you recover:
- Suck on ice cubes to help with throat pain.
- Drink plenty of water, apple juice, and other clear fluids to stay hydrated.
- Drink smoothies or eat soft foods to make sure you get enough nutrition.
Watch for signs of infection and call your doctor if you have any trouble breathing, bleeding, pain that gets worse,
signs of dehydration , or a fever over 102 F.
Keywords: adult tonsillectomy recovery time; recovery time adult tonsillectomy; tonsillectomy recovery time adult.