Not everyone with DVT shows symptoms
. But you might notice any of the following:
- A feeling of warmth in the affected leg.
- Pain in your leg. The pain often starts in your calf and can feel like cramping or soreness.
- Red or discolored skin on the leg.
If a blood clot breaks free and moves through your bloodstream, it can get stuck in a blood vessel of your lung. Doctors call this a pulmonary embolism
, or PE, which can be fatal. Signs of PE include:
- Chest pain or discomfort that worsens when you take a deep breath or when you cough
- Coughing up blood
- Feeling lightheaded or dizzy, or fainting
- Rapid pulse
- Sudden shortness of breath