A blood test can be used to find out a clotting-factor deficiency. People with severe hemophilia are diagnosed simply by their severe symptoms
. Mild forms of hemophilia may not be apparent until adulthood
The main treatment for severe hemophilia involves receiving replacement of the specific clotting factor
that you need through a tube placed in a vein. There are also other therapies including:
- Desmopressin (DDAVP) to stimulate your body to release more clotting factor.
- Clot-preserving medications (anti-fibrinolytics) to prevent clots from breaking down.
- Fibrin sealants to promote clotting and healing.
- Physical therapy if internal bleeding has damaged your joints mildly
- First aid for minor cuts.
- Vaccinations against hepatitis A and B.