Genital herpes usually can be diagnosed based on a phsical exam and the results of certain lab tests:
- Viral culture.
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test.
- Blood test.
Antiviral medications may be used to treat genital herpes include:
- Acyclovir (Zovirax)
- Valacyclovir (Valtrex)
These medications cannot cure genital herpes, but they help to：
- Heal sores sooner during an initial outbreak
- Lessen the severity and duration of symptoms in recurrent outbreaks
- Reduce the frequency of recurrence
- Minimize the chance of transmitting the herpes virus to another