Here are some foods that Powers says can help keep your blood sugar in check and make you happy and healthy:
- Raw, Cooked, or Roasted Vegetables - Choose tasty, low-carb veggies, like mushrooms, onions, eggplant, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, and low-carb squashes, like zucchini.
- Greens - Go beyond your regular salad and try kale, spinach, and chard.
- Flavorful, Low-calorie Drinks - Cut up a lemon or cucumber and put it in your water, or make ice cubes with some flavoring in them.
- Melon or Berries - For a different twist, mix the melon or berries with plain yogurt, or put them in ice cubes.
- Whole-grain, Higher-fiber Foods - Try legumes like dried beans, peas, and lentils. You can even enjoy a black bean and corn salsa with your raw vegetables.
- Protein - Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, and lean meats can help.
For more info you can go to a registered dietitian.
Keyword: lower diabetes blood sugar