The medication your doctor prescribes depends on the specific heart problem you have. Some medications your doctor might give you include:
- Medications that prevent blood clots (anticoagulants). An anticoagulant prevents blood clots from forming in your heart and causing a heart attack or stroke.
- Water pills (diuretics). Diuretics remove excess fluid from your body, which can help treat other conditions that might worsen a heart murmur.
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. ACE inhibitors lower your blood pressure. High blood pressure can worsen underlying conditions that cause heart murmurs.
- Statins. Statins help lower your cholesterol. Having high cholesterol seems to worsen some heart valve problems, including some heart murmurs.
- Beta blockers. These drugs lower your heart rate and blood pressure.
Key word: medication heart murmur