There are two main types of epilepsy seizures
. Because doctors generally classify them as either focal or generalized, based on how the abnormal brain activity begins.
First of all, focal (partial) seizures
result from abnormal activity in just one area of your brain
. While generalized seizures
involve all areas of the brain.
More specifically, focal (partial) seizures fall into two categories:
- Focal seizures without loss of consciousness.
- Focal seizures with impaired awareness.
Also, six types of generalized seizures exist. They are:
- Absence seizures, previously known as petit mal seizures
- Tonic seizures.
- Atonic seizures, also known as drop seizures.
- Clonic seizures.
- Myoclonic seizures.
- Tonic-clonic seizures, previously known as grand mal seizures.
Keywords: epileptic seizures; epilepsy seizures; epilepsy seizure.