, also known as glioblastoma multiforme (GBM)
, is a kind of brain cancer
and it is the most common kind of malignant brain tumor among adults. Glioblastoma can develop and spread in fast pace. To cure glioblastoma is very difficult, or even impossible, but some treatments can help control its growth and relieve symptoms.
The symptoms of glioblastoma
- Memory loss
- Changes to personality or mood
- Localized neurological problems
The causes of glioblastoma
- Aging: glioblastomas are more common in adults between ages 45 and 65.
- Family history: having a family history of glioblastoma will increase the risk of developing it.
- Environmental factors: exposure to smoking, pesticides, radiation, working in petroleum refining or rubber manufacturing.
- Some viruses: cytomegalovirus, HHV-6 and SV40.
The treatments for glioblastoma
- Surgery: It is suitable for most cases, but it will be infeasible in some high-risk areas of the brain.
- Radiation: It is used to kill leftover tumor cells, but it has some side effects.
- Chemotherapy: It helps to relieve symptoms but has some short-term side effects.
- Electric field therapy: It will not kill normal cells, but glioblastoma will still develop.
- Palliative care: It only suits for serious situation.
Keywords: define glioblastoma; glioblastoma wiki; glioblastoma Wikipedia; wiki glioblastoma