Idiopathic Pulmonary fibrosis is a lung disease that occurs when scars are formed in the lung
. The scar tissue is thick and stiff, which can affect your lung function and cause breathing problems
The cause of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is usually unknown
, but some risk factors
can raise the possibility to get the disease.
- Long-term exposure to toxins and pollutants, such as silica dust, coal dust, asbestos fibers and hard metal dusts.
- Some medications, such as some antibiotics, chemotherapy drugs and heart medications.
- Some medical conditions, such as pneumonia, sarcoidosis, scleroderma and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Radiation therapy for lung or breast cancer.
- Other risk factors, such as smoking, gene, age (middle-aged and older adults) and gender (male).
Keywords: causes idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis