Gallstones are some hard deposits
derived from digestive fluid
in your gallbladder. The size of gallstone is different. You may have only one gallstone which is as large as a golf ball
. Or you may have lots of gallstones which are as small as sand
. Besides, there are two types of gallstones: cholesterol gallstones
and pigment gallstones
, and the former is the most common type.
The possible symptoms
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Pain in your right shoulder.
- Back pain between your shoulder blades.
- Sudden pain in the center of your abdomen.
The possible causes
- Family history of having gallstones.
- Eating fewer meals per day.
- Low intake of vitamin C, calcium, and magnesium.
- High intake of carbohydrate.
- Low fluid consumption.
- Some medicines such as oral contraceptives and hormone therapy drugs.
- Liver disease.
- High-cholesterol diet.
If you think you may get gallstones, you should consult your doctor for advice.