Having a reasonable diet is helpful to people with hypertension. Usually, people with hypertension should reduce the intake of salt
. And if you are overweight, you need to lose weight as well.
What to eat
To make a healthy diet for people with hypertension, you may
- Choose foods that are sodium free or contain very low sodium.
- Eat foods that are fresh, plain frozen, or canned with "no salt added".
- Choose fresh poultry, fish and lean meat, rather than canned or processed types.
- Rinse canned foods to remove some sodium.
- Choose foods that are high in fiber.
What to avoid
People with hypertension should avoid
- Food high in calorie including glucose, sugar, chocolate.
- Food high in fat including meat.
- Food rich in sodium or salt.
- Black tea and alcohol.
- Canned food with too much salt.
- Food that is spicy.
- Food that tends to cause bloating including sweet potatoes and beans.
DASH, short for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension, is designed to prevent and reduce hypertension by dietary habit.
It advocates increasing
intake of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low fat dairy products and lean protein, while reducing
intake of fat, sweets, red meat and sugary drinks.
Keywords: diet hypertension; hypertension diet; food hypertension