What is the definition of ataxia?
Ataxia describes a lack of voluntary coordination of muscle movements
, picking up objects
and eye movements
Ataxia is a clinical manifestation showing dysfunction of the parts of the nervous system
which coordinate movement. It can occur to one side or both sides of the body.
What are the signs or symptoms of ataxia?
The possible signs or symptoms of ataxia include:
- Poor coordination.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- Difficulty speaking.
- Difficulty eating, writing or buttoning a shirt.
- Change in speech.
- Unsteady walking.
- Involuntary back-and-forth eye movements (nystagmus).
What are the causes of ataxia?
The causes of ataxia include:
- Brain tumor.
- Cerebral palsy.
- Vitamin E, vitamin B-12 or thiamine deficiency.
- Toxic reaction of certain medications such as phenobarbital, benzodiazepines.
- Autoimmune diseases including multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, and celiac disease.
Keywords: ataxia; ataxia disease; ataxia mean; ataxia meaning; ataxia means; ataxia+; define ataxia; definition ataxia; does ataxia mean; meaning ataxia; medical definition ataxia; medical term ataxia; wikipedia ataxia definition; ataxia definition; ataxia definition symptoms;ataxia definition Wikipedia; ataxia signs; are symptoms ataxia; ataxia disease symptoms; ataxia symptom; ataxia symptoms; ataxia symptoms adults; definition ataxia symptoms; symptoms ataxia; ataxia causes symptoms; ataxia symptoms causes; ataxia causes; ataxia causes it; can cause ataxia; cause ataxia; causes ataxia