What is the definition of epilepsy?
Epilepsy is a kind of central nervous system (neurological) disorder
in which brain activity becomes abnormal, causing serious situations including seizures, or even loss of awareness.
It should be noticed that epilepsy may affect
both males and females of all races
, ethnic backgrounds and ages.
What are the symptoms of epilepsy?
The symptoms of epilepsy include:
- A staring spell
- Temporary confusion
- Loss of consciousness or awareness
- Uncontrollable jerking movements of the arms and legs
- Other symptoms such as fear, anxiety.
What are the causes of epilepsy?
The causes of epilepsy include:
- Genetic influence.
- Head trauma.
- Prenatal injury.
- Developmental disorders such as autism and neurofibromatosis.
- Infectious diseases such as meningitis, AIDS and viral encephalitis.
- Brain tumors.
- Brain infections.
- Family history.
How to diagnose epilepsy?
Epilepsy can be diagnosed through its possible symptoms (described above). Besides, doctors will diagnose the disease by using some tests.
Medical tests for epilepsy include:
- Neurological exam.
- Blood tests.
- Electroencephalogram (EEG).
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Positron emission tomography (PET).
- Neuropsychological tests.
- Functional MRI (fMRI).
- Single-photon emission computerized tomography (SPECT).
- Statistical parametric mapping (SPM).
- Magnetoencephalography (MEG).
Keywords: _epilepsy; epilepsy; epilepsy disease; epilepsy meaning; epilepsy+; define epilepsy; defining epilepsy; definition epilepsy; epilepsy definition; epilepsy diagnosis; epilepsy signs symptoms; epilepsy symptom; epilepsy symptoms; signs epilepsy; signs symptoms epilepsy；symptoms epilepsy; symptoms epilepsy disease; cause epilepsy; causes epilepsy; epilepsy causes