Epilepsy is a kind of central nervous system (neurological) disorder
in which brain activity becomes abnormal, causing serious situations including seizures, or even loss of awareness. Patients with epilepsy should pay more attention to their diet.
The ketogenic diet
is a common dietary therapy for people with epilepsy, especially for children. It is a kind of high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet in which the body is forced to burn fats rather than carbohydrates, and the carbohydrates will be converted into glucose, which will greatly boost brain function.
What food to eat?
- Food rich in proteins including peanuts, walnuts, pork, fish, and shrimp.
- Food rich in manganese including soya beans, lentils.
- Food rich in calcium, vitamin D, iron, and folic acid.
What food to avoid?
- Food high in carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, sweets.
- Acrid condiments including pepper, mustard, scallions, garlic.
Keywords: epilepsy diet