Poison ivy rash is allergic skin reaction caused by direct contact with the sap oil
of the poison ivy. The oil is very sticky, so it easily attaches to your skin, clothing, tools and other items. You can get an allergic reaction from direct touch to the plant or indrect touch to the contaminated objects.
The rash often begins after a 12-48 hours delay after exposure and persists for about two to three
weeks. The symptoms can range from mildly unpleasant to an intense reaction of swelling, blistering, and oozing.
The early stage of the poison ivy rash will be redness, itching and small blisters
on your skin (see picture below).
You can take self-care methods to ease the early stage rash with soothing lotions and cool compresses.
keywords: poison ivy rash; allergic skin reaction; early stage;