There’s no effective treatment for acute gastroenteritis, so prevention matters a lot. The common ways to prevent acute gastroenteritis are as follows:
- (for one-year-old children) Get vaccinated. There is a kind of vaccine which can effectively prevent acute gastroenteritis caused by rotavirus.
- Wash hands thoroughly. Use warm water and soap to clean hands for at least 20 seconds. Remember to wash beneath fingernails.
- Avoid using shared items.
- Avoid close contact with people. Keep distance.
- Disinfect surfaces. Clean hard surfaces such as counters and doorknobs, with a mixture of 0.47 liters of bleach to 3.8 liters of water.
- Mind what you eat and drink. Avoid raw food and drink well-sealed bottled water.