, or called Winkler disease
, is an inflammatory condition characterized by a painful skin colored lesion on the helix or antihelix of the ear
The exact cause of chondrodermatitis nodularis is still not well-understood. There are several factors that contribute to its development.
- Repeated pressure and compromised blood supply to the ear;
- Exposure to cold and sun;
- Trauma from headphones, mobile devices or hearing aids;
- Connective tissue disease (such as lupus erythematosus, dermatomyositis, and scleroderma).
There are various options for treatments and the main aim of them is to relieve pain and ultimately cure the condition.
- Pressure relief: such as selecting a soft pillow or fashioning a ‘hole’ in the pillow to avoid pressure on the painful area;
- Intralesional steroid injection: it may reduce local inflammation;
- Topical nitroglycerin: Apply twice daily to the affected area;
- Surgery, such as wedge excision.
If have any further questions, please go to see a doctor for professional help.
Key words: Chondrodermatitis nodularis; Winkler disease; lupus erythematosus; dermatomyositis; scleroderma.