I have a bone on my right heel, it hurts a lot, what can I do for it? I am 67 year old female. I take zocor and topamax.

  • 2

2 Answers

These messages are for mutual support and information sharing only. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
The bone you are talking about is actually a bone spur. More than 90% of painful heel spurs can be successfully treated without surgery or medical interventions. It’s important to treat heel spurs as soon as they become apparent through pain, discomfort, and a sharp jabbing sensation in the heel, especially with those first few steps in the morning. The sooner conservative treatments begin, the sooner pain relief and healing is possible! Many of the conservative home remedies for treating plantar fasciitis are also helpful to resolving heel spurs. Why? In part, because many cases of heel spurs are a direct result of plantar fasciitis, and in part because these home remedies take pressure off the heel bone and strengthen the arch, making it more resistant to strain and injury.

Rest: Adequate rest, especially after intense physical activity, long periods of standing, or lifting heavy objects allows the plantar fascia and surrounding tissue to heal strain and micro-injuries that can lead to the development or worsening of heel spurs.

Icing: Regular icing for 20 minutes at a time, especially when you notice redness or inflammation in the heel area, can encourage healing and pain relief in damaged tissue since cooling is known as an anti-inflammatory and analgesic.

Specialized Orthotic Inserts: Orthotic inserts take the pressure off painful heel spurs by lifting and cushioning the damaged plantar fascia ligament.

Stretching Exercises: Stretches strengthen and improve flexibility in the plantar fascia ligament and surrounding tissue, reducing the body’s misguided healing response to create heel spurs.

This is osteoarthritis. Painkillers such as celecoxib and glucosamine are effective treatments. Cortisoine injection can be applied when the painkillers don't work. Surgery is required in rare cases. You can consult a rheumatologist.