What Does Tongue-Tie Look Like?

  • 4
My son is two years old and he has some trouble with swelling. When feeding him, his tongue doesn’t function well.

4 Answers

These messages are for mutual support and information sharing only. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Hi, there. How long has this situation been troubling your son? Does he often feel the need to eat? It could be the tongue-tie. Anyway, it’s time that you took him to the hospital and had a thorough test.
Thank you for your advice. He’s been feeling this way for several months and I just don’t know what to do with it. He is quite normal except for the truth that the motion of his tongue is not as natural as other babies at his age.
Have you checked the downside of your son’s tongue? If it seems that the tongue is stuck to the lower flower of his mouth, it’s very likely that your son has got tongue-tie. The quicker you send him to the hospital, the quicker he’ll get some proper treatment.
I just checked his tongue and it frightened me that what you said was true. I didn’t notice that before. I’ll take him to the hospital right now! Thx.

Here’s a pic, hope it helps. 

OMG... it looks so horrific!
Anyone can brief me on this topic? Just out of curiosity.
Tongue tie (aka. ankyloglossia) is when the tissue attached to the underside of the tongue and the base of the mouth is very tight, thick, or extends particularly far forward in the mouth. In this case, usually the tongue cannot move freely.

If a baby has the following symptoms, it’s possible that they are suffering from tongue tie.

1.    Have issues with breastfeeding and sucking.
2.    Slip off the breast or have difficulty latching on.
3.    Make clicking noises and break suction during breastfeeding.
4.    Delayed weight gain.
5.    Unexplained frustration.

When it comes to the diagnose and treatment part, it’s never too late to notice the symptoms, seek a medical opinion and potentially therapy. Proper therapy can help children with feeding difficulties. If you suspect your child has a tongue tie or a feeding difficulty, you should consult your pediatrician, a certified lactation consultant, or a speech-language pathologist.