A healthy eating habit helps you lose weight and keep fit, but that’s easier said than done. There are so many ways to get off a diet, for example, when you go out with friends, or when there’s a family party full of unhealthy food, or when you go to a ballgame or amusement park or the beach…
Still, don’t give up hope that early. There are just as many ways to stick to your healthy eating habit. The study, "Which Healthy Eating Nudges Work Best? A Meta-Analysis of Field Experiments," conducted by Romain Cadario, has studied "nudges" that can bolster healthy eating habit.
Various methods that can help you eat healthily
After looking at 96 studies about various methods focusing on improving food choices and eating habits, the researchers have concluded the different methods into seven categories:
1) use nutritional labels containing calorie counts and other nutritional information on food packages or menus
2) use pictures or graphics to help people see which food choices are best
3) change the placements of healthy foods so people can notice them
4) make healthy selections more appealing in product descriptions
5) encourage people to make better choices using signage or stickers
6) make healthy food more convenient to eat
7) change the portions of meals so there are more healthy foods and less unhealthy foods
Among the above methods, the researchers suggest that the most effective method that can help you stick to a healthy eating habit focuses on changing people’s behavior.
The most effective method that can help you eat healthily
The best way to improve eating habits is to reduce portion sizes of unhealthy foods. "By choosing the best strategy you can see results that are six-times more effective," said Cadario.
In order to reduce portion sizes, you can
—use smaller dinnerware
—ask for a half portion when eating out
—take it slowly to reduce your total intake
Try to take these steps to control portions. These simple changes can really improve your quality of life!