I have gotten an abscess that popped when I scratched and gooey yet, hard pus came out. Could this be MRSA?

  • 3
I am 24 years old, female, my room mate has mrsa could i have it now too?

3 Answers

These messages are for mutual support and information sharing only. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

You do not know it until you get tested. You should see a surgeon, who would take a sample of your pus to the lab to test it. You should also need the surgeon to take care of your wound. If you do not bother to see a doctor, you can use OTC topical antibiotics.

It may be MRSA and you need lab tests to confirm/exclude it.  But if your abscess is not too big, you just need to keep the wound dry and clean.

Symptoms of a MRSA infection

Symptoms of a MRSA infection depend on the severity and location of the infection. People sometimes get confused when they notice some symptoms, because these symptoms are quite similar to those of a spider bite. Affect people may experience the following symptoms: skin rash and abscess, redness, warmth, and swelling of the affected area, pus-filled sores or pimples. In some severe cases, people may also suffer from fever, chills, fatigue, joint pains, shortness of breath, headaches, low blood pressure, and a widespread rash.

Diagnosis of a MRSA infection

To make a precise diagnosis, doctors may order a check on a tissue sample or nasal secretions to see if there are any signs of drug-resistant bacteria. It takes about 2 days to get a specific result.